OmniWeb 0.7.5 is now available.
William Shipley
1994-09-26 18:51:17 UTC
Current OmniWeb users can download it by highlighting
http://www.omnigroup.com/Software/OmniWeb and hitting command-shift-U.
Others can download it from our ftp site, ftp.omnigroup.com:/pub/software.

OmniWeb currently requires an image filter in order to view most popular
image types; OmniImageFilter works and is available from ftp.omnigroup.com.
(OmniImageFilter also enables viewing of foreign images in other programs, as
well.) OmniWeb only runs under NEXTSTEP 3.1 or higher.

OmniWeb 0.7.5 is primarily a bug fix release; users will find it much more
stable and usable than previous releases. All known crashers have been
fixed, forms are much more robust, and a number of highly requested features
have been added, including proxy support for sites with firewalls, and a find
panel.

OmniWeb 0.7.5 is the last completely free version of OmniWeb. Subsequent
versions will require a license if more than one person at a site is using
them. Note that, if you are the only person at your site using OmniWeb, IT
WILL ALWAYS BE FREE. I'll say it again: the first user at a site gets to use
OmniWeb for free, forever. No share-ware, no nothing. Only the second user
will have to pay.

I think this is a nice compromise. Shareware just makes people feel guilty,
freeware woudl make us no money and so we'd never update OmniWeb, and normal
commercial software is too expensive for individuals. This way individuals
can use our software for free, but businesses can have a supported app they
can trust will be upgraded periodically.

OmniWeb version 0.7.5 bug fixes and new features:

* Display
* Yet another new look to the main window.
* Find panel added.
* Automatic redirection is invisible, doesn't make the program insane.
* Crashers for some pages fixed.
* Dragging URL into mail doesn't cause lost text.
* ISO Latin character encoding is available through a preference.
* New "View Source" menu command added.
* &quot works.
* 2-point link text after buttons icons gone.
* Printing documents now actually reformats them for the printed page.
* History windows remember where they were between sessions.
* Crasher when NXBrowser gets about 10 deep fixed (NEXTSTEP bug).
* Forms
* Forms can be submitted multiple times.
* Mailto: forms don't crash.
* TEXTAREA fields show multiple lines.
* Hidden elements are now hidden.
* Image elements are displayed, but don't do anything yet.
* Forms with just a single text element submit with the return key.
* General
* Gopher site crasher fixed.
* URLs with "#" in them don't fail any more.
* Add local file menu option added.
* Protocol
* Firewall support added via a preference for using a proxy server.
* Support for multiple IP addresses added.
* Protected servers now correctly prompt for passwords.
* Also, we switched from the LYNX WWW library to the CERN 2.16 WWW library,
which will (hopefully) move forward faster than the LYNX one. Unfortunately,
CERN didn't support aborts or status messages or forms like the LYNX library,
so we had to add those. CERN did give us cool proxy support, and gracefully
handles multiple I/O requests. It also gave us neater FTP sessions, and
allows cached icons.
* Lots of small bug fixes.

-Wil Shipley
Ed DeBolt Jr
1994-09-26 19:24:26 UTC
Hi Wil
Post by William Shipley
OmniWeb 0.7.5 is the last completely free version of OmniWeb. Subsequent
versions will require a license if more than one person at a site is using
them. Note that, if you are the only person at your site using OmniWeb, IT
WILL ALWAYS BE FREE. I'll say it again: the first user at a site gets to use
OmniWeb for free, forever. No share-ware, no nothing. Only the second user
will have to pay.
One question. I am at a research facilitity connected to the University of Colorado. Does the colorado.edu domain
just get one version. ( I hope not) or does each site eg. NCAR, NOAA, NSIDC etc get a free copy.

How does this work?

Thanks,

ed

---
Ed DeBolt Jr NeXTMail welcome
***@slurpee.colorado.edu
Nat. Snow and Ice Data Ctr. Boulder Colorado
303-492-8814 http://titanic.colorado.edu:/ESD
Daniel Miles Kehoe
1994-09-27 02:48:47 UTC
If you're bug hunting, try this URL (The Ventana Press Vistor's Center):

http://kells.vmedia.com/vvc/index.html

OmniWeb 0.7.4.1 handled it fine. But OmniWeb 0.7.5 barfs on the inline
images.

Thanks for the continued good work!

Regards,
Daniel Kehoe
***@fortuity.sf.ca.us
415-488-9142
William Shipley
1994-09-27 04:38:51 UTC
For educational sites we'll do it on a department by department basis.

There will probably be an education discount, as well.

-Wil
Stephen Fitzpatrick
1994-09-27 10:32:30 UTC
Post by William Shipley
OmniWeb only runs under NEXTSTEP 3.1 or higher.
Is that accurate? It seems to work ok under 3.0, or is there some nasty that I
haven't encountered yet?

--
Stephen Fitzpatrick | ***@cs.qub.ac.uk O-O
Department of Computer Science | (NeXT mail ok) |
The Queen's University of Belfast|"Keep passing the OpenWindows" v
Benjamin Koo
1994-09-27 15:30:19 UTC
Dear Omnigroup:
I just downloaded the newest version of OmniWeb 0.7.5. It
looks even better than the 0.7.4.1 version. I found two drawbacks of
the new version. First of all, it does not allow me to change the
preference of the font selection in TextView. This prevents me to
automatically translate the Big-5 double byte Chinese characters.
Then, I added the font object using Interface Builder, it then
interpreted the code incorrectly. I tried the same thing on the
0.7.4 version, it worked fine.

Based on my personal knowledge, OmniWeb is the only W3 client
that can simultaneously supports Chinese homepages without a much
recompilation and installation of weird Chinese font systems. This
is a great advantage over other W3 clients. I know that I am
probably one of the few people really reads Chinese stuff using
OmniWeb. I showed a local Internet service provider yesterday that
OmniWeb supports Double Byte languages, he immediately recognized the
value. I hope that OmniGroup may take this suggestion into
consideration. However, I was really impressed with other unique
features that OmniWeb has. This is a great contribution to the
NeXTSTEP community, I hope my voice may stir a little attention.

Thanks

Sincerely yours,

Benjamin Koo
William Shipley
1994-09-27 20:39:42 UTC
Post by Stephen Fitzpatrick
It seems to work ok under 3.0, or is there some nasty that I
haven't encountered yet?
You're right. It's OmniImageFilter's workspace inspector that fails under 3.0.

Knowing this flakiness, we're not willing to gaurantee 3.0, although it should be OK.

-Wil