1994-09-26 18:51:17 UTC
http://www.omnigroup.com/Software/OmniWeb and hitting command-shift-U.
Others can download it from our ftp site, ftp.omnigroup.com:/pub/software.
OmniWeb currently requires an image filter in order to view most popular
image types; OmniImageFilter works and is available from ftp.omnigroup.com.
(OmniImageFilter also enables viewing of foreign images in other programs, as
well.) OmniWeb only runs under NEXTSTEP 3.1 or higher.
OmniWeb 0.7.5 is primarily a bug fix release; users will find it much more
stable and usable than previous releases. All known crashers have been
fixed, forms are much more robust, and a number of highly requested features
have been added, including proxy support for sites with firewalls, and a find
OmniWeb 0.7.5 is the last completely free version of OmniWeb. Subsequent
versions will require a license if more than one person at a site is using
them. Note that, if you are the only person at your site using OmniWeb, IT
WILL ALWAYS BE FREE. I'll say it again: the first user at a site gets to use
OmniWeb for free, forever. No share-ware, no nothing. Only the second user
will have to pay.
I think this is a nice compromise. Shareware just makes people feel guilty,
freeware woudl make us no money and so we'd never update OmniWeb, and normal
commercial software is too expensive for individuals. This way individuals
can use our software for free, but businesses can have a supported app they
can trust will be upgraded periodically.
OmniWeb version 0.7.5 bug fixes and new features:
* Yet another new look to the main window.
* Find panel added.
* Automatic redirection is invisible, doesn't make the program insane.
* Crashers for some pages fixed.
* Dragging URL into mail doesn't cause lost text.
* ISO Latin character encoding is available through a preference.
* New "View Source" menu command added.
* " works.
* 2-point link text after buttons icons gone.
* Printing documents now actually reformats them for the printed page.
* History windows remember where they were between sessions.
* Crasher when NXBrowser gets about 10 deep fixed (NEXTSTEP bug).
* Forms can be submitted multiple times.
* Mailto: forms don't crash.
* TEXTAREA fields show multiple lines.
* Hidden elements are now hidden.
* Image elements are displayed, but don't do anything yet.
* Forms with just a single text element submit with the return key.
* Gopher site crasher fixed.
* URLs with "#" in them don't fail any more.
* Add local file menu option added.
* Firewall support added via a preference for using a proxy server.
* Support for multiple IP addresses added.
* Protected servers now correctly prompt for passwords.
* Also, we switched from the LYNX WWW library to the CERN 2.16 WWW library,
which will (hopefully) move forward faster than the LYNX one. Unfortunately,
CERN didn't support aborts or status messages or forms like the LYNX library,
so we had to add those. CERN did give us cool proxy support, and gracefully
handles multiple I/O requests. It also gave us neater FTP sessions, and
allows cached icons.
* Lots of small bug fixes.